Holloway High School, built in 1929 as a Rosenwald School, has been an important part of black history in Rutherford County. The Rosenwald School project was an initiative led by Julius Rosenwald and Booker T. Washington which built schools during the early 20th century primarily for the education of African-American children in the South. Holloway High school was the last Rosenwald School constructed in the County. The school was named after E.C. Holloway, a local white attorney who “championed” the improvement of black education in Rutherford County.
The original building cost $20,400 to construct, which would be just over $300,000 today, and included a cafeteria, library, and a few classrooms. In 1930, 1947, 1952, and finally 1964, annexes were built, adding a gymnasium, more classrooms and offices, as well as remodelling some of the older classrooms. The school remained open until 1968, when the students of Holloway High School had been integrated into Central High School. The buildings were used from 1968-1972 as an annex of Central High School.
While the original building has been torn down, Holloway High School now is a non-zoned 9-12 school that offers accelerated learning through 4x4 block schedules and night school.